Skip to main content
Tmj Arthroscopy And Arthroplasty (Open Joint Surgery) Post Op
- Wound care – the day after surgery, remove adhesive bandages, clean wounds with peroxide, apply antibiotic ointment to areas and reapply adhesive bandages ( twice a day for 5 days ). If you have had open surgery there may be a dressing in your ear; remove it the day after surgery, you can use tweezers.
- You can shower- you may have a “jaw bra” or head wrap on. Remove it to shower then reapply and continue ice packs, applying cold compresses to the affected side(s) on and off: 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off while awake. Make sure it is not excessively tight around the throat. Use the wrap for 48-72 hours. There is little benefit after 72 hours.
- Keep your head elevated, at least 30 degrees, to minimize swelling.
- Ambulation: although you just had surgery, we recommend you do not stay in bed while awake to minimize the chances of thrombocytopenia events leading to strokes, heart attack or pulmonary emboli. Try to transfer to a chair instead and walk throughout the house. Try to be as active as possible.
- The swelling will worsen over the next 3-4 days after surgery and is expected. The swelling will begin to subside over the next few days.
- Foods- first day easy to swallow cooler foods and lots of liquids. Second day warm soft foods. Keep hydrated by drinking at least 8-9 glasses of liquids a day.
- Pain control: NSAID’s should be taken first. Ibuprofen or Motrin, 600-800 mg, three times every 8 hours for three days can be taken to keep the pain under control. If necessary, you would obtain additional relief by taking narcotic medication as instructed. You should have a prescription for pain relief given to you at the pre-surgical appointment at our office. Most of the times a refill is given.
- Sutures: they usually break easily and therefore you may notice them come off. This can happen after the second day. The surgeon will remove any remaining stitches if necessary at the post surgical appointment.
- Exercises: You may have been given instructions for post-operative exercises during your pre surgical appointment. Do the exercises as directed.
- Bleeding: if bleeding occurs, apply pressure over the area with a gauze for approximately 30 minutes. Reapply if necessary. Call the office if this maneuver does not control the bleeding.
- Hearing loss after surgery is expected in some cases but may warrant further evaluation and treatment. Notify your surgeon when you return to the office for follow up.